Thursday, February 15, 2018

Going Batty

In early evening, just prior to sunset, we often stroll along the upper decks.  We always see lots of winged creatures flying.  Filling a lot of the sky with the Northern migration.  What I originally thought were birds, were in fact bats!






 I'll say at the start that I'm not a fan of bats.  I remember too well working in a building where bats would sometimes get in and fly down the hall or worse yet, fly into an office.  We then would call the bat patrol who would show up but rarely captured the bat.  These were small little mammals that could be caught in a trash basket and then taken up to the roof where they were released.  I much prefer bats outside well away from my head.

There are over 1300 species of bats.  Here in Douala we can watch hundreds perhaps thousands of fruit bats flying from the south in a north westerly direction over the Wouri river where the Africa Mercy is currently docked.  I was told that the wing span is about two feet.   I did find a picture on line and this is what they look like.







Fruit bats are valuable creatures.  In some places they are considered a culinary delicacy. They are sold as Bush meat, and there is growing concern about a declining bat population.  Farmers don't like them because they eat the fruit. From my perspective, there is no shortage, and I never want to sample a bat-kabob.  I guess I prefer not to experience these bats up close and personal.

Chuck

1 comment:

  1. LOL a 'bat kabob' :) Nope, not me either! Jon's in the process of building a bat house right now :) Though I do hope nothing as big as those show up!!

    ReplyDelete